- Massive material removal: prepare extremely large cross-sections, up to millimeters in width and depth, within a few minutes (up to 15 mio. µm³/s)
- Combining laser and FIB: Gain rapid access to deeply buried structures for focused ion beam scanning electron microscope (FIB-SEM) analysis and further FIB machining
- Minimal damage: Thanks to ultrashort laser pulses (femtosecond laser) in a dedicated chamber, damage and heat affected zones remain minimal – without any instrument contamination
The new LaserFIB for ZEISS Crossbeam is the ideal tool to prepare extremely large cross-sections up to millimeters in width and depth within minutes. Thanks to the ultrashort pulse duration of the femtosecond laser, LaserFIB reaches highest removal rates of up to 15 mio. µm³ per second.
These high ablation rates are ideal to prepare samples for further FIB machining with ZEISS Crossbeam, complementing LaserFIB with highest precision at an even smaller scale (100 nm – few 10 µm).
Expose regions that are hidden under the surface directly, revealing all structural details in a wide range of material types. Whether a hard or soft material, conducting or insulating material: LaserFIB machines your sample at unprecedented speed. Applications include preparation of titanium alloy pillars for micromechanical testing or cube preparation in tungsten carbide.
Before laser processing, you can correlate your FIB-SEM reference image with 3D data, e.g. X-ray microscopy data. After laser processing, return your sample to the main FIB-SEM chamber for analysis. Perform final FIB polishing to reveal even more details.
Thanks to ultrashort laser pulses (femtosecond laser), LaserFIB conducts quasi-athermal ablation, reducing sample damage and heat affected zones to a minimum.
The laser work is done in a dedicated chamber to avoid contamination and to enable safe and easy sample transfer between laser chamber and the main FIB-SEM chamber.
Download the white paper and learn how to
- rapidly prepare cross-sections in metals without major defects or heat dissipation using LaserFIB on ZEISS Crossbeam
- achieve a preparation quality that is suitable for direct EBSD measurement on the laser polished surface
Get in touch with us to find out more about the benefits of LaserFIB and other ZEISS microscopy solutions for your research, book a demo at our customer center, or get a quote. We are looking forward to hearing from you.